Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day One Recap

My first day back wasn't the greatest. I use www.myfitnesspal.com (MFP) to track my food and exercise. My daily calorie allowance at this point is 1490 as I have my weight loss set at two pounds per week. I ended up eating 1793 calories. Also, I didn't work out yesterday as I worked two hours later than normal and had to deal with a broken furnace when I got home.

I could have made better choices and stayed under my calorie goal. I had Subway for dinner. My boyfriend, Randy, brought me home a foot long instead of a six inch. I could have easily stopped after six inches, but it was too good and my willpower wasn't there. I could have still been under if I'd stopped, but during Biggest Loser, I decided to have a bowl of ice cream complete with whipped cream and sprinkles. This is my life. It's a work in progress, right?

I'm thinking about going to the gym tonight. I belong to SpireFit in Geneva. I've been a member for a couple weeks and only been there a few times. I would like to get an hour or so worth of working out done this evening. I'm really hoping that I can get a treadmill for my house, as I'd really like to be able to save money by canceling the gym membership and just using the treadmill and workout videos for exercise.

I'm only going to log my weight on MFP on Saturday mornings. I do plan, however, to weigh myself every morning and keep track of my daily weight on my iPhone notepad. I feel like this helps me see the effects of poor choices every day. I also helps me keep track of just how long it takes me to recover from a "cheat" weekend or something like that.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, well, you're right. It is a work in progress. The whole thing about Randy bringing home a footlong sub...these are the types of things we will deal with forever. Radu does it all the time. It's just one of those things that probably won't change. People always try to be "nice" by offering more food than you requested, or bringing you a donut at work, or sharing some of their birthday cake in the office. Even bringing Christmas cookies to you. People see it as being nice, neighborly, friendly. As a person dealing with control issues and trying to learn how to overcome temptations, these "nice" gestures seem more like sabotage than anything else. You probably can't change the "nice" behaviors of others. What you CAN do (and I need to hear this for myself..) is learn the art of resistance, control, discipline. And really, I don't think you should ALWAYS decline the sub or the donut or the cake. I think you should be able to eat it if you really want it...but that means sacrificing something else later on (like the ice cream) or making yourself workout. Because, Sarah, when you look back over the month, you're going to wish you had spent every day being on track.

    I'm really happy to see that you're not beating yourself up though. That doesn't accomplish anything. Beating yourself up is just you punishing yourself so that you feel that it evens things out. Feeling bad "teaches you a lesson," and once you've been "taught a lesson" then you're even. Your bad deed is undone. But we know that's a myth. Beating yourself up doesn't accomplishing anything. It doesn't undo anything. It doesn't even teach you a lesson! So good job for not beating yourself up! Instead, you're looking at the situation for what it's worth, analyzing the thoughts behind your choices, and discussing what you will do differently in the future. YAY! That's exactly what makes the difference in behavior!!

    Anyway, I'm really proud of you. 300 calories overboard is not ideal, and I won't sugarcoat it for you. You shouldn't have done it. However, being 300 calories over is honestly nowhere near being 2000 calories over. What I'm saying is you still ate way, way less than you might have eaten a few years ago when you weren't conscientious of your food intake. I think you had a relatively successful day yesterday! It was not your best by any means. But I think you are truly on the right track. Sometimes we DON'T have time for exercise. Sometimes our meals DO cost more than we thought they would. That's life. You've got to roll with the punches.
    And that's what you're doing.

    So way to go. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I deleted my first comment because it was full of errors. It was the same comment as the one above...
    I didn't realize it would show that I deleted a comment. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fixed it! Thanks for the feedback. Life is all about making decisions. For a first day back, I'm not terribly upset with myself. Today is another opportunity to do better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that! "Today is another opportunity to do better!"

    ReplyDelete