Monday, February 20, 2012

Still Alive

I haven't died. I'm still here. I just haven't been very committed to losing weight, getting healthy, or writing in my blog. As I've expressed in the past, it's really hard for me to stay on track. I'm constantly looking for a quick fix or something to keep me insanely motivated. Those things are hard for my to find, however, and I lose interest. I should be interested in the long term, in the final product. Instead, I'm interested in what will make me happy RIGHT NOW. Unfortunately, I've recently made many unhealthy choices in order to make myself "happy" in that moment. The end result, however, has not left me happy at all.

On Friday, a group of friends and I made a commitment to one another. We all met at one person's house and discussed our struggles with food. We all weighed in, took measurements, and stood together and individually for "before" pictures. These are all friends who have struggled with their weight throughout their lives. We all are on the same journey, we all have the same plan. We all want to be healthier. Each of us set mini-goals for the week. My goals for the week are:
  • Track EVERYTHING, no matter what.
  • Spend at least twenty minutes, three times per week, exercising.
Those are small goals, but I'm taking a small step. We've all spent our lives chasing a quick-fix, but none of us has found one. This time, we're taking small steps in order to make this more of a lifestyle change, not the diet of the week. Plus, we all have stepped on a scale in front of our peers, our friends, and we have committed to doing so again in two weeks.  My biggest fear is other people learning how much I weigh. Only one of my best friends had ever been privy to that information, and this was because we have always been very similar in weight, always been on this journey together, failing. Now, they all know. They all saw. I can't hide this any longer.

Two weeks from now, I want to be proud of the work I've put in. I want everyone to be happy for me and smile at my accomplishment. I don't want to let anyone else, or myself down. Not again.

1 comment:

  1. The goals are so reasonable and so doable. I know you'll be successful. I really believe in you so, so much.

    ReplyDelete